Updated April 13, 2017. Originally published April 14, 2016.
Every day is a great day to be in Brew City, but April 14th is a day officially dedicated for celebrating everything Milwaukee. The MKE festivities started in 2010, as Milwaukee Day fits so well on April 14th thanks to the American way of noting dates: 4/14, similar to the local telephone area code.
There’s about a bazillion different specials and events going on this Friday, 4/14/2017, in honor of it all. A few of our choices are listed below:
For Beer Lovers
- Pabst will once again be brewing in Milwaukee, with the grand opening of their microbrewery scheduled for 4/14. Check out their converted church building, along with their pre-Prohibition beer recipes.
- Brenner Brewing in Walker’s Point is teaming up with local swag-shop Too Much Metal For One Hand to pour beers in their special 414 pint glasses.
- Urban Harvest Brewing Company (also in Walker’s Point, natch) will sling their 414 Golden Ale for $4 all day.
- Milwaukee Brewing Company (again, Walker’s Point, because of course) is releasing bombers of their Gin Barrel Aged O-Gii starting at 7:30PM. It’s the tastiest straight-up booze cruise you’ve ever been on.
The Music Scene
- The rumor is our favorite radio station, 88.9 Radio Milwaukee, has a special, earth-shattering announcement at 4:14PM. We’ll have our dials tuned.
- Wonder Uncovered, a conglomeration of local musicians covering global chart toppers, will be rocking Stevie Wonder this Friday courtesy of (88.9’s own) Tarik Moody and David Wake.
- Outpost Natural Foods has got all sorts of discounts running to stock up on.
- For one day only, Great Lakes Distillery will be offering a Friday fish fry, with their liquors on the ingredient list.
The Other, Other Things to Do
- Historic Milwaukee’s got new digs, and they’re celebrating with sales on local goodies to lure you in to see them.
- Never tried our local bike-sharing system, Bublr Bikes? Friday’s the day to try it out. All day, 30-minute rides are free with code 41417. Their Grand Avenue Mall home-base also has an open house.
- The iconic Harley Davidson Museum is an informative, if pricey, way to spend an afternoon. But this Friday, it’s free for anyone wearing a shirt reading “Milwaukee”.
While we at the Squeaky Curd try to show our love for this great city each and every day, we rep our MKE pride just a little bit more each April 14th. So raise an old fashioned, display your OG Milwaukee flag (or the “People’s” flag, if you must), and show your city some love, Milwaukee.